Joey Bunch at the Phil Anschutz-owned Colorado Springs Gazette obligingly helps publicize a big-ish upcoming event for Colorado conservatives, rallies this Friday across the state to express displeasure over the full range of legislation passed by majority Democrats this year:
Organizers contend that legislators are making it more expensive to live in Colorado, while making people rely on the government and driving companies from the state.
“Hardworking, every day folks seldom ‘do’ rallies,” Kim Monson, leader of the Stand For Colorado team, said in a statement. “May 10th, Coloradans will come together to send a message to the out-of-control politicians and bureaucrats that we are watching, we care and we are concerned about the future of our state.”
The rallies are organized by long-running local right wing talk radio hosts known as the Americhicks, who host a morning show on the B-list (even by AM radio standards) AM560 KLZ. But the list of speakers for Friday’s rallies run the gamut of conservative conspiracy theorizing:
- Pastor Christine Uwizera-Coleman—Survivor of the Rwandan Genocide. Invocation.
- Don Wilson—Mayor of Monument-National Popular Vote, SB19-042
- Barbara Kirkmeyer—Weld County Commissioner-Oil and Gas Law, SP19-181
- Sheriff Steve Reams—Weld County Sheriff, The Red Flag Law, HB19-1177
- Giuliana Day—Concerned Citizen-Organizer Against the Hypersexualization of Our Children Law, HB19-1032. Let kids be kids!
- Amy Oliver Cooke—Executive Vice-President, Independence Institute-Energy-The Assault on Affordable, Efficient & Reliable Energy.
- Heather Lahdenpera—Concerned Mother-Forced Vaccinations of Our Children, HB19-1312
- Sue Sharkey—Chair, CU Board of Regents-Higher Education in Colorado
- Natalie Menten—RTD Board Director-Assault on TABOR, the Taxpayers Bill of Rights
- Heidi Ganahl—CU Regent, Free Speech on Campus
- Brita Horn—Former Elected County Treasurer, Raid by Colorado of Personal Uncollected Funds
- Tina Francone—Former Jefferson County Commissioner & Former RTD Board Director, Air Quality Rules, Regulations & Laws
- Susan Kochevar—Entrepreneur and Owner of the Historic 88 Drive In Theater-Forced Minimum Wage and Unfriendly Laws, Rules & Regulations
- Deb Flora—Salem Media Group-Parental Rights
- Jan Cook—Co-Founder, Get Er Done Right Colorado, Forced Voter Registration, SB19-235
- Patti Kurgan—Former Member-Pay Equity Commission, FAMLI Leave Bill, SB19-188
- Kim Gilmartin— Charter School Parent
- Helen Raleigh— Author & Speaker, Immigration
- Carol Baker—Pharmacist, Prescription Drugs
- Kim Monson—Radio Show Host of The Americhicks with Kim Monson, Transportation
- Lesley Hollywood—Founder and Executive Director, Rally for Our Rights, Red Flag Law
- Grady Birdsong—Marine Vietnam Veteran, Author, Coopers Troopers, Veterans Issues
That looks like everybody! From “red flag” misinformation to “forced voter registration” to “hypersexualization of our children” to the “forced vaccinations,” Friday’s rallies should feature every part of the crazypants coalition aligned against Colorado Democrats who had the temerity to win an election six months ago and then legislate accordingly. Now, you may rightly wonder why people who might someday want to be considered serious contenders for higher office–here’s looking at you, Heidi Ganahl–would jump on the hypersexualized forced-vaccination crazy train?
The answer is simple: this is the Republican coalition now. And to the radicalized conservative grassroots, these disparate issues all run together in a low-information vortex of fear and loathing. The lesson of these rallies is that there’s no point in trying to compartmentalize the motivations of organizers of a possible recall against freshman Rep. Rochelle Galindo, hateful vs. “legitimate,” when conservatives make no attempt at such distinctions among themselves.
The fringe and the “mainstream” of the GOP share the stage. Let’s stop pretending they don’t.