Wait, What? (Doug Lamborn Edition)

(Not) Rep. Doug Lamborn (R-Colorado Springs).

As Ernest Luning reports for the publication formerly known as the Colorado Statesman, there is a legal challenge underway that could knock incumbent Republican Rep. Doug Lamborn off of the June Primary ballot if successful:

A lawsuit filed Tuesday by five Republican voters is asking a judge to remove U.S. Rep. Doug Lamborn from the 5th Congressional District’s GOP primary ballot, alleging petition circulators hired by Lamborn didn’t meet legal requirements to gather signatures for his campaign.

The lawsuit, filed in Denver District Court, claims Lamborn fell more than 400 signatures short of the 1,000 needed to qualify for the June primary. Colorado Secretary of State Wayne Williams said last week that Lamborn had submitted 1,269 valid signatures.

The highlight of this story, however, might just be this completely weird response from Lamborn’s campaign:

In a statement, Lamborn’s campaign dismissed the lawsuit’s argument.

“The campaign for Lamborn for Congress stands by the determination of the Secretary of State’s office that the signatures are sufficient,” a campaign spokesperson who refused to give his or her name wrote in a text message to Colorado Politics. [Pols emphasis]

Well, okay then.

10 Community Comments, Facebook Comments

  1. JeffcoBlue says:

    Deniability. If you worked for Lamborn you'd want it too.

  2. unnamed says:

    Man!  Who would have thought that Republicans would try to Out-Keyser Jon Keyser? 

  3. RepealAndReplace says:

    Lamborn Has Precarious-Like Qualities…..

    Wouldn't it be a hoot if a bunch of incompetent petition circulators – hired by the candidate – managed to do what Bentley Rayburn, Jeff Crank, Lionel Rivera, and numerous others were unable to do.

  4. RepealAndReplace says:

    Whatever happened to Baron X, the guy who used to post on this site and was the conservative Democrat who challenged Lamborn one time?

  5. Davie says:

    He was a member of the American Constitution Party.  Not sure what he’s up to these days.

    Just did a quick check and it seems he’s been out of the country as a government contractor for some years. Possibly (but not confirmed) still there.

  6. Would you want to have your name associated with a failing incumbent's campaign?

    Also, what are the implications if the SoS's office missed this?

  7. JohnInDenver says:

    Owen Hill's week continues to be outstanding.

    Top of the ballot. Sen. Rand Paul endorses. Opponent in the news for the wrong reasons.

    What's next?

     

    • RepealAndReplace says:

      He's going to Disney World?

      Things are going well for Hill but Lamborn – assuming he survives the court challenge – will win the primary the same way he has won all of the previous ones. He'll get his 40% and the other candidates will split the remaining 60%.

       

Leave a Reply

Comment from your Facebook account


You may comment with your Colorado Pols account above (click here to register), or via Facebook below.