Spinning It Hard With Donna Lynne

3rd out of four? Lynnementum!

A fundraising email sent this week from Democratic gubernatorial candidate Donna Lynne’s campaign manager Ethan Susseles extracted some chuckles from political insiders, but you wouldn’t know why at first glance from the content:

I couldn’t wait to get you this really important update on the state of our campaign:

The latest PPP poll on the Colorado governor’s race has a Democrat beating the leading Republican frontrunner in next year’s election — now, we have to keep this momentum going.

Will you chip in $5 and help us make sure that we’re getting Donna’s message of progress out to all voters so we can win in this primary and next November?

And yes, all of that’s technically true! But curiously, there’s no link to the poll in question in this fundraising email, even though it’s publicly available. Although the reason the Lynne campaign didn’t include a link could be plain to see from…well, the poll’s results:

Early Republican primary polling has shown that Tom Tancredo is the front runner to be his party’s candidate for Governor, but he trails 4 prospective Democratic opponents by anywhere from 4 to 8 points. Jared Polis does the best of the Democrats with a 46/38 advantage, followed by Cary Kennedy who leads 45/38, Donna Lynne who leads 43/38, and Mike Johnston who leads 43/39.

The poll in fact shows Lynne coming in second-worst among the four principal Democratic gubernatorial candidates in a head-to-head matchup against presumed GOP frontrunner Tom Tancredo. She’d be tied with last-place Mike Johnston if, for whatever statistically insignificant reason, Johnston hadn’t moved undecided voters a point toward Tancredo.

Yes, the poll looks good for Democrats. But it doesn’t look particularly good for Donna Lynne.

Once you know that, the “momentum” behind this appeal dissipates pretty quickly.

10 Community Comments, Facebook Comments

  1. davebarnesdavebarnes says:

    I am all in with Tommy The Tank.
    Became a registered GOPer so I get my say (even if they cancel the primary).
    Tommy is the best GOPer candidate for Colorado.

    “Pardoned Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio raising money for Tom Tancredo’s race for governor”

  2. bullshit!bullshit! says:

    This is gonna be a two-person race between Cary and Jared and I frankly have no idea which one I will support. But I love them both.

    • davebarnesdavebarnes says:

      What?
      Cary will be the GOPer candidate?

    • flatiron says:

      Johnston and Lynne will be battling for a small spectrum of conservative Democrats while Kennedy and Polis battle over the progressives. I think Kennedy is the strongest statewide candidate in the general;  the uber-wealthy Polis is going to be tagged as the candidate from Boulder and struggle outside of his district.

      • RepealAndReplace says:

        If Johnston and Lynne were smart, they would try to run the Ben Nighthorse Campbell strategy. Run as an openly-conservative Democrat and hope that two liberals evenly split 60% of the party leaving you with the nomination with 40%.

        P.S. I know, it hard to visualize Dick Lamm as a “liberal” but standing next to Nighthorse Campbell – relatively speaking – he was.

      • Diogenesdemar says:

        “Johnston and Lynne will be battling for a small spectrum of conservative Democrats” . . . 

        . . . that would be John Hickenlooper and those three mythical west slope “Trump Democracts”?

  3. RepealAndReplace says:

    Tank is only polling at 38-39% against all four of them. Interesting since that's only a point or two more than he got running as the Constitution Party candidate for governor in '10.

  4. MADCO says:

    Lynne should run for CD6 or CD4. Even if she has to move.

    She has low name recognition but funding beyond her name rec would imply.
    But she's not going to be governor

     

    • Duke CoxDuke Cox says:

      Good. I understand she is all in for COGA, CPA, and CRED. It is time for someone to undo the damage done by Governor Frackenlooper. If Colorado is ever going to get out from under the thumb of Big O&G, it has to start on the first floor of the Capitol. Now is the time.

Leave a Reply

Comment from your Facebook account


You may comment with your Colorado Pols account above (click here to register), or via Facebook below.