I’ve got an idea for an enterprising blogger/legislative staffer or two: Let’s keep track of all the amazing bounty of GOP Jobs bill and/or constitutional amendment proposals.
You know all the ones that start out with “If we just fill in the blank, the economy would take off and jobs would rain down like manna.”
Let me get started.
If we just:
1. Outlawed abortion
2. Banned gay marriage
3. Restricted life-saving medical research
4. Reduced educational opportunities for the underprivileged
5. Taught pseudo-science in lieu of modern science
6. Brought back prayer in schools
7. Shifted health care budget burdens to the states
8. Eliminated federal environmental protections
9. Laid off teachers, firefighters and police
10. Gave more tax cuts to billionaires and multi-national corporations
11. Collected more taxes from the poor
12. Eliminated unemployment benefits
13. Deported all those job-stealin’ immigrants
Economically speaking, things would be so much better!
I’m sure there are many more that I’ve missed. And of course, over the next year, I’m sure there will be plenty more coming our way from conservative “Think Tanks”.
On the other hand, if we elected a Democratic majority in Congress and in the states, we’d have to put up with new spending bills on roads, bridges, medical and scientific research, public education, etc., all financed on the backs of the innocent victims of their own success — the top 1%.
We certainly can’t let that happen, now can we?