(Get More…Gooder! – promoted by Colorado Pols)
This diary, which I hope to publish every Friday, will be all about small victories in the big battles: People doing the right thing for the right reasons. Stories of bravery, generosity, caring, and integrity. Where possible, I’ve connected this to Colorado politics and stories.
This is a selfish project for me – I need to see those small victories and uplifting stories just to keep going as an activist. Without them, it’s too easy to be overwhelmed by the flood of bad news and attacks on democracy and civil rights, and simply stop trying to keep politicians accountable.
There are many “good news” items I haven’t covered; more possible categories for good news are: Race, discrimination, justice, bizarre news, animals, marches, town halls, community organizing, “the resistance”. Where another organization such as ProgressNow Colorado reports on “How to fight back this week”, I’m not going to duplicate coverage. As always, add your own “good news” stories and commentary.
Energy and Environment
NRC has to consult with tribes first before permitting its uranium mine in S. Dakota
Cleantechnica reports that renewables make up 19.5% of US energy in the 1st quarter of 2017.
Colorado currently gets 16% of its energy from wind, and 2% from solar or other renewable sources, for a total of 18% of Colorado’s total electrical energy use. This was 2015 data, and is probably higher now. Colorado’s Renewable Energy Standard goal is to use 30% renewable energy by 2020. Xcel plans to build 600 megawatts of wind capacity on Colorado’s eastern plains, a move which the Independence Institute says is unnecessary.
Midwest Energy News includes these gems: Nevada will bring back rooftop solar, the market for energy storage is at an all time high, while the cost of solar is at an all time low. Also low: Demand for coal at its lowest since 1984.
The US Climate Alliance, a grassroots response to the President’s repudiation of the Paris Climate Accord, continues to gather states, cities and businesses pledging to meet or exceed the goal of reducing carbon emissions by 2%. It now includes 12 states and 211 municipalities, plus some major businesses like GE, Google, Apple, Microsoft.
Colorado has not yet joined the US Climate Alliance; Colorado governor John Hickenlooper wrote that Trump’s withdrawal was a “serious mistake” and likened the decision to “ripping off your parachute when you should be pulling the ripcord
Education and Children
Senate committee rejects DeVos education vision and budget. So SPED funding, Title IX and X, college remediation and grants, and nutritious school lunches are safe…for now.
Colorado women can now get one year supplies of contraceptives control . This helps women who live in rural areas, or who must take off work for medical appointments. A study showed that having contraceptives consistently available can cut the unplanned birth rate by 30%.
Several states have put laws in place which act as a firewall to protect access to contraception for low-income women
Elections, Candidates, and Voting
Colorado is putting up some decent candidates against Doug Lamborn, Ken Buck, and Clarice Navarro. Betty Field, Chase Kohne, and Brianna Buentello have formally declared and have filed paperwork to run against these incumbents in 2018. Other Democratic candidates have also declared intention to run against Mike Coffman and, and are deciding whether to run against Gardner in 2020. Information from “The Green Papers“
Methodist church has appointed its first openly gay bishop in Colorado; her appointment was immediately challenged, as it apparently violates church law.
However, Bishop Oliveto has been welcomed to the pulpit of the United Methodist Church in Greenwood Village, CO.
This billboard will be put up in Colorado Springs, home of the anti-gay Focus on the Family headquarters. The campaign is by Hornet, which is also placing one of these near the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, KS.
Sam Long, a trans math teacher from Denver, will tell his story in DC:
Medicine and science
Veterans (and others) experiencing symptoms of post traumatic stress disorder can now get cannabis prescribed. It’s one of the more effective treatments for PTSD.
Dinosaur Dung + Particle Accelerator = Science h/t to notaskinnycook
Two Coloradans were chosen for NASA astronaut training
Civil rights, faith, and justice
This followed months of community rallies and support, and Ms. Vizguerra was named one of Time’s 100 most influential people of the year.